Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Blizzard Round Three

Okay so today is the the third time blizzard conditions are going to hit the Metro Area and I decided to take advantage of the snow before driving conditions get feisty. So I grabbed my girlfriend and we set off to the "woods" which aren't much of woods really just just a corporate area called Corporate Woods where they have a park with a river near it. Because it was so cold we really only had like 10 minutes to set up and shoot before we would lose a toe or something. Poor girl got the worst because she was wearing heels walking through snow... it was about thirty feet from the car which we left on so we could hop back in a try to get warm again which took for ever for my thumb that had to stay exposed because I was using that hand to hold the camera.

So now onto what I did. Since I'v been creeping on my favorite blog strobist which is all about using portable lighting I decide to try and use my bounce flash umbrella as a fill to give her a little bit more light and stop and illuminate the snow. Because snow is one of the brightest natural light situations I had to put the flash to full power (always use manual on you flash and not TTL it gives you real consistency) and use an ISO of Lo 1.0 which is the lowest my camera goes. Then as for the exposure I set f-stop to f/4 and the shutter speed to 500 this would allow the ambient light to be slightly overpowered by the flash. So I placed the umbrella flash front right of the camera and started shooting.

This is what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment